Workplace: Rome, national and international business trips may be required
Line Manager: Board of Amnesty International Italy
Contract: full time, three years fixed-term contract, renewable
Gross Annual Salary: about € 90.000 (based on qualification and work experience)
Benefits: negotiable gross annual salary, performance incentives and bonus, flextime.
You won’t just be working for us, you will be working for the 10 million supporters, activists and members around the world who believe in taking injustice personally.
We are embarking on a major change program to deliver a new 2022-25 strategy and a stronger organization. Reporting directly to the Board of Amnesty International Italy you will have the responsibility of delivering on Amnesty International’s human rights change goals in and from Italy, you will be responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing strategies, operational plans and budgets for the work of Amnesty International Italy towards the development of an effective AI presence in the country. It is a great opportunity for leaders with strong management and interpersonal skills who are experts in Human Rights field, ready to take up a new challenge.
About the Role
The Director General ensures the following goals are reached:
- Lead AI Italy’s contribution to the strategic direction of the global Amnesty International movement through a solid national strategy. Develop and implement strategies, plans and budgets for human rights impact in-country.
- Accountable for management of the staff, resources, office in-country and operations ensuring the application of AI policy and quality standards across the operations throughout the office.
- Responsible for building national relationships and Amnesty International’s profile in Italy and within the Amnesty International movement. The Director will represent AI at a senior level with the Italian government and others.
- Report to the Board of AI Italy: provide written, verbal financial and non-financial reports to the International Secretariat and the Board of AI Italy as requested.
We are looking for a Director General with the following characteristics:
- university degree (or equivalent) in Law, Economics, Politics or Policy Studies, Master’s degree or specialisation (or equivalent) in the Business Administration or Human Rights field are a preferred requirement.
- minimum of five years of relevant professional experience in international organisations with similar tasks, a high level of responsibility and a proven experience in managing impactful organisations;
- 5-8 years proven record of senior level leadership and management success, preferably in an international organization;
- leadership and management experience developing and nurturing relationships to drive collaborative change within an organisation.
Technical skills and knowledge
- Approaches to strategic thinking and strategy development, and translating strategic concerns goals into operational plans.
- Experience in participatory and inclusive approaches to management, with the ability to listen and learn from diverse perspectives.
- Knowledge of the human rights and socio-political-economic context in Italy, Amnesty International values, mission and policy positions.
- Fluency in English and Italian is essential; other European languages would be advantageous.
- Strategic and analytical thinking with the ability to translate strategy and concepts into action and to review and adapt plans as required.
- Strong people and conflict management skills to facilitate organizational change and internal relationships between internal departments and with staff, volunteers, board members, members and stakeholders.
- Good communication and coordination skills to negotiate complex relationships with external stakeholders including donors, partner organizations, media and government officials.
- Excellent administrative, financial, and organizational skills, in particular an appreciation for the importance of strong people management.
We are an independent, global movement made up of over 7 million people who campaigns courageously for human rights for everyone. We are active in the Global North and Global South. In Italy, our organization has about 500.000 supporters and 2.000 activists.
We’re independent of any government, political ideology, economic interest, or religion to ensure we can speak out on human rights abuses wherever they occur.
How to Apply
In order to apply for this post, please send:
- curriculum vitae containing the personal data processing authorisation according to General Data Protection Regulation (2016/279);
- cover letter containing a self-assessment of the above-described characteristics.
Please make sure the two files are in PDF format and their titles are “first name last name CV”, “first name last name CL”.
Human Value is exclusively retained by Amnesty International Italy to undertake this assignment.
Please, send the files to Marilù Anaclerio (Principal at Human Value) by writing to the following address: email@example.com (applications sent to other e-mail addresses will be disregarded).
The e-mail subject must be “Director General AI”. Please also indicate how you came across the vacancy information.
Only applications including these criteria and received by 19 December 2021 will be taken into consideration.
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted within ten days after the vacancy closes.
We receive a huge number of applications for our vacancies; thus, we cannot reply to applicants who don’t make it to the longlist, and we apologize for this: please be aware that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.